New on the Blog!
Game Show #149 February 3, 2021
A Heart-Stricken Moose
Have you found other Game Show episodes too comfortably on the rails? Welcome to Bedecked, a Game Show concept that does away with tracks, trains, passengers, and the idea of reality itself. In this first outing, panelists each bring one or more decks of cards from games (listed below) to play on an arbitrary board created by the host. Will Moby Dick defeat a blue dragon? Can knowledge of synonyms for prison keep Monty from pursuing new and exciting narratives? Only time will tell, and a salty Kathy.
Listen to this episode (1 hour, 15 minutes)
Panelists played the following decks, in order that they played each turn:
- Kelly: Outburst!, the game of verbal explosions, in which one contestant describes items on a card for others to guess (vintage 1994 edition)
- Shelly: Where on Earth is Osama bin Laden?, described on Board Game Geek as “players track the misadventures of the Bush Administration taking us into the wrong war in the wrong country for the wrong reasons”
- David: Eight different decks, but he played Dick, designed to work like Apples to Apples for Moby Dick quotes; Monty Python Fluxx based on the MP canon; Firefly Fluxx, which is shiny; Beagle or Bagel, which explains itself; Exploding Kittens, likewise; and Sushi Go!, where you “grab the best combination of sushi dishes as they whiz by.”
- Kathy: Dragonwood, whose creators note, “Deep in the heart of this mythical forest lurk angry ogres, giggling goblins, and even the famed and fearsome fire-breathers themselves.”
- Monty: Companions’ Tale, in which participants tell stories about a hero; Magic: the Gathering, a game of Planeswalkers dueling, which created the Trading Card Game category; and Illuminati: New World Order, the TCG version of the Steve Jackson Games classic card game Illuminati